Tuesday 21 October 2008

How can I get recognition for my art?



In this job I am constantly asked 'How can I get my paintings noticed?', or 'How can I get recognition for my art?'. It is often the case that the artist has exhibited their work, maybe in their end of year college show, or even at a local art gallery, but then wonders why the Tate is not knocking at their door to have a piece in their collection.
You need more people see your work, and you need key people to see your work.
I encourage lots of my clients to enter key Open Exhibitions, where work is selected by an experienced panel for display and sale in a major exhibition. The private view will attract key people in the art world, and it will attract a broader audience to view your work. If selected, it will give your work the 'rubber stamp' of approval.
One of the most significant Open Exhibitions in the South West (yes, that includes Gloucestershire) is the Royal West of England Academy Autumn Exhibition in Bristol. It is a mixed discipline exhibition including painting, printmaking, sculpture, photography and architecture. It aims to represent a broad range of contemporary fine art, and the success of submission is not dependent on the style or content but quality.

The 156th Autumn Exhibition opens its doors to the public this Sunday (26th October) and runs until 14th December 2008.
There is normally a charge for entry, but admission is FREE on 15th November only.
http://www.rwa.org.uk/

No comments: